Apples on the tree, nuts on the bush and brambles heaving with blackberries. Yup - Autumn is here.
So we're going straight down the comfort route and bringing you the ultimate crumble... enjoy!
Ultimate fruit and nut crumble – a bit of comfort in a cold snap!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 large ripe pears, peeled and cubed
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 250g blackberries
- 80g oats
- 40g ground almonds
- 30g chopped nuts (such as hazelnuts, shelled pistachios)
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g demerara sugar
- Place pears, apples, cinnamon, sugar into a pan
- Cook on a medium heat until the fruit start releasing juices (about 10 minutes)
- Throw the blackberries in and heat through
- Pour mixture into a large ramekin
- For the crumble: mix the oats, sugar, nuts and butter and cover the fruit
- Bake on 170C until golden brown
Serve hot with custard – but you knew that already!
Ice cream or mascarpone are great alternatives if you're serving the crumble hot. But if you're serving it cold, try a dollop of crème fraiche. It goes great with the tang of the fruit and the nutty crunch of the crumble.
Speaking of nuts, you can also swap in your own favourite nuts for the crumble – why not try walnuts, pecans, almonds or macadamias?
As ever, if you give any recipe a go, please do write back and tell us all about it.