It's very nearly strawberry picking time!
If you're lucky enough to grow your own strawberries, you probably pick them off the plant and eat them straight away, however if you do have some left over and don't know what to do with them before they go bad, our simple strawberry jam recipe is perfect!
This recipe makes approximately 4lb of jam.
- 1kg Hulled & Quartered Strawberries
- 1kg Jam Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Put the strawberries and lemon into a large pan and heat gently for approximately 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the jam sugar and stir well.
- Boil steadily for 6 - 7 minutes, until the setting point is reached (to test the setting point, spoon a little jam onto a cold plate. Leave for 30 secs, then push with your finger; if the jam wrinkles and doesn’t flood to fill the gap, it is ready. If not, turn the heat back on and boil for approximately 2 more minutes).
- Once ready, leave to stand off the heat for 5 - 7 minutes and remove any scum off the top.
- Pour into sterilised jars, cover and label.
- Keep in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy.