Almost any plant, provided it is woody and does not mind a bit of competition and being cut back occasionally can be used in a country hedge. But that does not make it a great native hedging plant. I have, honestly, seen a hedge made entirely from Ash. Interesting idea, but utterly useless.
Here are my top ten native hedging plants:
- Hawthorn - Crataegus monogyna
- Blackthorn - Prunus Spinosa
- Field Maple - Acer campestre
- Hazel - Corylus avellana
- Dog Rose - Rosa canina
- Spindleberry - Euonymus europeaus
- Guelder Rose - Viburnum opulus
- Common Alder - Alnus glutinosa
- Dogwood - Cornus sanguinea
- Cherry Plum - Prunus cerasifera
All of these hedge plants are available on our site (naturally)
Relax and watch your plants grow!