The perfect food for your Christmas dinner party, New Years Eve, or all to yourself!
Baked Camembert is both fancy and so simple to prepare, and as for the olive and pecorino straws, all your guests will be asking for the recipe.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe olives
- 250g Camembert
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 garlic clove
How to make the straws...
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 2mm thick.
- Whisk together the egg with about 1 teaspoon of water and lightly brush onto the pastry.
- On one half of the dough, working cross-wise, sprinkle the Pecorino, olives and thyme. Gently fold over the other half of the dough and lightly press with the rolling pin. Using a floured pizza cutter or knife, cut the edges so you have an even rectangle. Cut even strips and place on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet, twisting if you wish.
- Refrigerate the dough while you preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then gently turn the straws over, and bake for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Once cooled, the straws may be stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.
How to make the baked camembert...
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6
- Unwrap 250g Camembert from its packaging, then place back into its box. Tie string around the box to secure.
- Slash the cheese a few times and top with 1 tbsp dry white wine, half a garlic clove and 2 thyme sprigs.
- Bake on a baking tray for 20 mins until gooey.
- Serve with warm olive and pecorino straws and homemade tomato & chilli chutney.