The perfect food for your Christmas dinner party, New Years Eve, or all to yourself!
Baked Camembert is both fancy and so simple to prepare with olives and pecorino straws: all your guests will be asking for the recipe.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe olives
- 250g Camembert
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 garlic clove
How to make the straws...
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 2mm thick.
- Whisk together the egg with about 1 teaspoon of water and lightly brush onto the pastry.
- On one half of the dough, working cross-wise, sprinkle the Pecorino, olives and thyme. Gently fold over the other half of the dough and lightly press with the rolling pin. Using a floured pizza cutter or knife, cut the edges so you have an even rectangle. Cut even strips and place on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet, twisting if you wish.
- Refrigerate the dough while you preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then gently turn the straws over, and bake for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Once cooled, the straws may be stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.
How to make the baked Camembert...
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6
- Unwrap 250g Camembert from its packaging, then place back into its box. Tie string around the box to secure.
- Slash the cheese a few times and top with 1 tbsp dry white wine, half a garlic clove and 2 thyme sprigs.
- Bake on a baking tray for 20 mins until gooey.
- Serve with warm olive and pecorino straws and homemade tomato & chilli chutney.