Christine Strawberry Bushes
Description of Christine Plants & Fruit:
No strawberry lover should be without Christine: it is the best of earliest cropping plants. Early varieties do tend to have smaller crop sizes than bushes that bear fruit later, but Christine makes up for this with nice big fruit that have a knockout sweet flavour. They are also firm and hard to bruise.
Characteristics of Christine Bushes:
- Modest cropper.
- Great big, very sweet fruit.
- Extremely firm fruit are excellent for decorative use on cakes etc.
- Very resistant to powdery mildew, Verticillium wilt & spider mite.
- Susceptible to crown rot.
- Crops from Early May under cover, Early June in the open.
Growing Christine Strawberry Plants:
Christine must be watered well if the weather is dry or the fruit will suffer quite badly.
Because it flowers early, plants in frosty areas will need covering.
Read our detailed information on how to grow Strawberries here.
Background Information on Christine Strawberry Bushes:
Dr Derek Jennings bred Christine, but the parents are either unknown or had no names. It was released in the UK in 2002.