Quercus Varieties in Standard Sizes
Most standard trees are only delivered bareroot, during the winter planting season.
Pre-order your bareroot trees today for delivery from November
Right now, only potted Bay Laurel Trees are ready for delivery.
Oaks (Quercus species), are large, spreading trees with sturdy branches and distinctive, lobed leaves. Except for Holm Oak (Quercus ilex), they are not suitable for use in a clipped hedge.
- The native oaks are Common Oak (Quercus robur) and Sessile Oak (Quercus petraea).
- The best oak for wet soil is Pin Oak (Quercus palustris). It is also good for inner city planting because its roots are adapted to low-oxygen environments, which are found underneath urban concrete and tarmac.
- The most ornamental Oak is probably Red Oak (Quercus rubra), with its fiery autumn colour.
- Holm Oak (Quercus ilex) is evergreen and will grow right next to the sea. This is the only type of oak that clips nicely into a hedge. It is also the best oak for a year-round windbreak.
- Turkey Oak (Quercus cerris) is the most vigorous oak that we grow.
Oaks grow to 20-30 metres tall.
Have a look at the rest of our range of ornamental trees.
Standard trees are measured by their girth 1 metre above the ground, and young saplings are measured by height. Therefore, a 6/8cm Standard Oak tree is much bigger than an 60/80cm sapling Oak tree. If a tree is available in both sizes, it will be noted in the product descriptions.
All our Oak trees are covered by our no-quibble Guarantee, which means you can order with complete confidence. Free delivery on orders over £120. Best advice & friendly support throughout.