Carrots are high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. This heart-warming soup is not only delicious, but a cheery eyeful of colour too.
- 150g butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- Large bag of carrots, washed and chopped (about ½ kg)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp curry powder (heat according to your taste
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock (stock cubes are fine)
- Sprig of thyme
- Chopped coriander and a few drops of olive oil to decorate
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the carrots, onion and garlic with a generous shake of salt. Sweat, with the lid on until softened. Do not burn!
- Dry fry the cumin seeds until you can smell them, then add, with the curry powder, to the vegetables. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the flavours are well integrated.
- Add the stock, thyme, 300ml water and simmer for 30 minutes. Take out the thyme sprig and liquidise the soup until it’s the consistency you prefer - chunkier or smooth (in which case you can sieve it for a real pro touch). Season to taste and decorate with a swirl of olive oil, chopped coriander and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.