Homemade mincemeat is a doddle to make and beats shop-bought versions hands down…
- Soak the dried fruit in the brandy/orange/lemon juice for at least an hour and preferably overnight. Drain the fruit (which should be fat and squidgy by now) and keep the liquid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well then pour in the reserved soaking liquid. Give it all another good stir, make a wish and decant into sterilised jars which can be sealed to be airtight (Kilner jars are ideal). Leave for at least 2 weeks and allow yourself a little well-earned smugness when people comment on how delicious your mince pies are!
- 350g currants
- 275g raisins
- 95ml brandy
- Zest and juice of ½ orange
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ the lemon
- 300g shredded suet
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 90g chopped mixed peel
- 1 Bramley apple peeled and finely grated
- ½ nutmeg finely grated