Delivery Questions and Answers
This is just a quick Q&A on delivery issues. Please also make yourself acquainted with our full terms and conditions
Please also note that all questions relating to orders and delivery assume that the order in question can be satisfied in a single delivery. Where that is impossible, for example, because of the seasonality of the plants involved, we will let you know immediately.
Delivery Timescales: When applicable delivery timescales are shown in the "Latest delivery info" box at the bottom of every page. However, please remember that you are buying live plants. Three factors significantly affect their delivery. Planting seasons vary depending on the plant and we cannot deliver out of season. In winter, most of what we sell is barerooted and needs lifting. To ensure your plants are as fresh as possible this usually happens after you order and when we have sufficient demand to make a lift practical. Finally, we are all at the mercy of the weather. Plants cannot be lifted or planted when it is freezing and lifting can be impractical if it is very wet.
- Q: What is the minimum order I can make?
- A: There is no minimum order
- Q: How much will the delivery cost?
- A: One delivery charge per order applies, providing the order can be satisfied in one delivery, irrespective of the size of the order.
- Our basic retail delivery charge is £6.50 plus VAT per order
- For Ornamental standards (denoted by 6/8 std 8/10 std on the product page size chart) we charge £12.50 plus VAT (for the whole order)
- The basic delivery charge for all orders containing fruit trees of any size (bareroot or pot-grown) is £12.50 plus VAT (for the whole order)
- For orders containing only bulbs or chemicals/fertilisers, the charge is £3.50 plus VAT (for the whole order)
- Orders delivered to Scotland and the Isle of Wight may suffer an extra charge (calculated during checkout). This is applicable to ALL orders to these locations
- Orders that are placed online with a value of more than £60 (excluding delivery) are delivered free of charge (excluding surcharges referred to above).
- If, for reasons of seasonality an order needs to be split, then we will charge for each delivery. If the whole order was eligible for free P&P then the second of the split orders will be delivered free of charge.
- Q: Where do you deliver to?
- A: Anywhere on mainland Britain and the Isle of Wight (please note surcharge mentioned above). We do not deliver to any other offshore destinations (including Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Isles of Scilly, the Isle of Skye, Channel Islands etc)
- Q: Do I have to sign for my delivery?
- A: No signature is required.
- Q: When will my order be delivered?
- A: We do not promise to deliver on any particular day of a week and we may deliver a couple of days early.
- Q: What weather conditions can I plant in?
- A: You cannot plant when the soil is frozen and it is best not to plant when the ground is waterlogged.
- Q: What happens if there is a delay between delivery & planting?
- A: Our bareroot plants will be packed so they can safely be left in their wrapping for 7-10 days before planting. Store them in a cold place, ideally outdoors, not protected from frost but out of direct sunlight. Leave them to freeze outside, but do not move them around when they are frozen. If planting is delayed for a week or two, we advise unwrapping them just enough to get a hose in and wet down the roots to make sure they stay moist. Do not leave your plants sitting in a bucket of water: roots like to be slightly moist, not drowned! Pot-grown plants should be opened as soon as possible after delivery. They can be stored for weeks during winter without much attention & in summer with watering every other day.